PHL death toll due to strong quake rises to 6; number of injured nears 140




This handout photo taken from the Facebook page of La Trinidad Municipal Police Station shows a rescue team at the site of a collapsed building in La Trinidad, in the province of Benguet on July 27, 2022, after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit the northern Philippines. – A 25-year-old construction worker in La Trinidad, the capital of the landlocked province Benguet, died when the three-storey building he was working on collapsed, police said. (Photo by Handout / La Trinidad Municipal Police Station / AFP)

 

 

(Eagle News) – The Philippine death toll due to the strong magnitude 7 quake that shook northern Luzon rose to six, with the number of injured also rising to 136, the country’s disaster agency said.

There are still four missing persons as of Friday morning, July 29.

The National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said the affected population by the strong quake and its aftershocks has also reached almost 80,000 coming from eight provinces and two regions in northern Luzon.

Five of the deaths came from the Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR), while one is from Region 1 or the Ilocos region.

Most of the injured also came from CAR, a mountainous region in the country.

Abra, the province which is the epicenter of the July 27 quake, is also located in this region.

This handout photo taken and released on July 27, 2022 by the Mountain Province Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office shows a damaged vehicle caused by a landslide along Halsema Highway in the municipality of Bontoc, Mountain Province, after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit the northern Philippines. (Photo by Handout / Mountain Province Disaster Risk Reduction Management Office / AFP) 

In CAR, the deaths were reported as follows: one (1) in Abra, two (2) in Benguet, one (1) in Kalinga, and one (1) in the Mountain Province.

There were 1,583 damaged houses, and 99 other structures, mostly related to insfrastructure, which also had damages, the total cost of which reached P48.3 million.

The effects of the magnitude 7.3 quake that struck in Abra were also visible and felt in the nearby province of Ilocos Sur. (Eagle News Service)

Meanwhile, the NDRRMC reported that all power had already been restored in the quake affected areas.

As of Friday morning, July 29, at least 5,819 persons were still inside 26 evacuation centers. Displaced persons staying outside evacuation centers reached 1,512.

In this photo taken on July 27, 2022, residents rest at a temporary shelter set up on a basketball court in Bangued, in the province of Abra after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit the northern Philippines. (Photo by AFP)

 

(Eagle News Service)



Source link